Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Mailbox

We must officially be Canadians now, we have our own PO Box!

PO Box 34
Denny Island, BC V0T-1B0

Here's how we got it.

The post office is inside the grocery store in Shearwater (I'll do a "shearwater" post soon with pictures). I had been in the grocery store about a 50 times, and finally remembered to ask about a PO Box. So I go up to the desk.

"Hi there, I was just wondering what the process looks like to get a PO Box"

"Um- do you live here?"

"Yes, we live in Whiskey Cove on our sailboat in front of Ian and Karen's house"

"OK"

She looked at the boxes and gave me my choice of box numbers, then went behind her desk, found the piece of paper with the keys for that number attached, and brought it over to me.

"Sign here"

"Can we also put John's name on it"

"Sure, just sign for him too"

Then she handed me the keys, and I left. It was free.

When I got back to the boat, I scrounged up the keychain I have not carried since we left Seattle and attached our new box keys. Then I tossed the keychain back into the depths of the nav statio.

When we need to pick up our mail, I will simply ask for our mail. They know who we are. 

*important note: Sending us things is expensive and very slow so do it if you dare, but be sure to allow a few weeks for it to reach us.

No comments:

Post a Comment